dimanche 23 octobre 2011

The australian quilts

The absolute highlight for me were the Australian quilts, brought to France by Annette Gero. The wagga's, Australian utility quilts can learn us so much about recycling and make do: they had rather small sizes, and used by workers who went from farm to farm. The first pic is a wagga made from woolen samples.
The hexagons quilts was in a very derelict state, but i couldn't take my eyes off it.
An other wagga.
A feathered star medallion, maybe not the very best sample of Australian quilt, could be as well an American  or a Dutch quilt, but while i looked closer to the fabrics, i noticed the fabrics looked very English, a gorgeous one.
The appliquéd quilt was my favorite, she really did with what she had, the stems shows they were made from all sorts of scraps, not matching at all,yet so charming ...
The pattern are in Annette's book... so if life gives me time, one day...
Framed hexagons, nice quilt , pic is from a poor quality, sorry.
Sort of Roman stripes or chinese coins? Bars? I like the framing, as if the maker just joined rows to get a surface she needed.
Very ornamental chintz appliqué with the dancing dollies as a framing, pattern in the book and also available through THREADBEARS if i remember well
The last pic is a détail  from Edita Sythar's quilt. I liked hers for the perfect technical skills, but seeing them after the antique ones, i felt like a lack of emotion..... 
Well ladies this was written on a very sunny sunday, the ALL BLACKS won from the French in New Zealand this morning , and oh boy, those rugbymen a such GOOD SPORTS, take care and my thoughts go to the quilters preparing a trip to Houston , hoping one day i can go back there..

4 commentaires:

Nifty Quilts a dit…

Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts! There is a theme of "making do." To me, that is what gives quilts their greatest charm.

Tonya Ricucci a dit…

I love the waggas!!!! so glad for you that you got to see them!

antique quilter a dit…

oh my gosh what I wouldn't give to have seen that Auntie Greens quilt in person, ever since I opened my book by Annette Gero up to that quilt I have been dreaming of that quilt! I love how she used so many fabrics and the shapes of the flowers and the borders...just incredible.
Love so many of the others too and yes someday I want to make a wagga!
thanks for sharing your day with us.
kathie

manuela a dit…

merci de ton reportage, magnifique !
les quilts waggas sont touchants, des cousins des Gee's bend :-)
L'appliqué à la bordure florale naïve et un brin maladroite (j'ai eu du mal à comprendre qu'il s'agissait de feuilles)est un chef-d'oeuvre !